Thursday 3 April 2014

Compass Blocks at Jukejema Quilting Barn in Nowra

I have been teaching my paper foundation piecing techniques to a lovely group of ladies in Nowra.

They have been making my design called "The Way Ahead".  I made this quilt some years ago from my large collection of reproduction fabrics in my favourite colour palette: blue, brown, burgundy, gold and green.  Lots of my quilts contain these five colours.

I spent a lot of time sorting and cutting from different fabrics to make the colour wash effect of this quilt, particularly in the circular rings of flying geese and the rectangles of staggered cream geese.  


This is where the biggest challenge of this quilt lies so we spent quite a while in class playing with fabrics and deciding on colour placement.

Each of the ladies was working in a different colour scheme which makes for a very interesting class. Unfortunately some ladies missed the last class but here are photos to show you:

This one is by Louise with the compass in shades of blue (the centre just glows), surrounded by red triangles.  Wow!


The next one is by Sheila who is using her collection of Thimbleberries fabrics in earthy shades of brown, red and blue. Very striking.


This one is by Karen in beautiful pastel shades of pink, green and mauve.


I will be continuing to teach foundation piecing at Jukejema on Friday, 6th June when I will commence a course on my "Bunbury" quilt design.  This design features large and small compass blocks set on a rich gold background.  The corner blocks are embellished with machine appliqué.





Would you believe I used the same compass block pattern to make my quilt called "Paradise"?  Just to prove I can work in fabrics other than reproductions, I made this large compass block with appliqué embellishments in bright batik fabrics.




Please contact the lovely Kim at Jukejema to book into the workshops (phone 0244212577).

No comments:

Post a Comment